Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Coconut Lemon Lime Bars


I am back from a quick trip to Mexico and have a dessert inspired by my mini vacation. Like usual I mixed a little of this recipe with a little of that recipe to come up with these deliciously tangy Coconut Lemon Lime Bars. A perfect blend of tart filling, slightly salty cookie crust and sweet shredded coconut topping.



Coconut Lemon Lime Bars

Cookie Crust:
2 sticks butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 tsp kosher salt

Custard:
4 large eggs at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbs grated lime peel
1/3 cup coconut

Preheat oven 350 degrees.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light, about 2 minutes.
Add the flour and salt to the butter and combine until just mixed.
Press into a 13x9 pan. (I used my vintage Pyrex that was 12x7)
Bake 15-20 minutes.
While crust is baking make custard.
Whisk eggs, sugar, lime zest, lemon and lime juice, flour and baking powder.
Pour over warm crust.
Turn down oven to 325 degrees and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven sprinkling coconut on top.
Continue baking for 5-10 minutes longer.
Cool completely before cutting.



While in Mexico I did hear about the horrible earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan. I can't even imagine what they are going through. My heart goes out to all of the people in Japan.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails