Friday, October 14, 2011

Desperation Bars


Early Saturday morning I woke up to a sore throat, then a runny nose and then a full blown cold. After 4 days of being confined to a couch and watching Food Network I was ready to crawl into the kitchen and bake something.
Still being a hot mess I could not be seen in public so I had to find something that I could make with whatever I could scrounge up in the pantry. Chocolate chips...nope, milk, heavy cream, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa powder....uh-uh. I was desperate and had very limited ingredients available, so I threw a Hail Mary, and it turned out extremely tasty. (And I am not a cookie bar kind of person.)


Desperation Bars

Based on 7 Layer Cookie from Inn Cuisine

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tbs melted butter
1 cup Scharffen Berger bittersweet chunks
1 cup Scharffen Berger semisweet chunks
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut
2-3 tbs cocoa nibs  (Doesn't everyone have nibs on hand at all times) (:
1/3 cup old fashion oats
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix graham cracker crumbs and butter and press into 9x13 pan
Sprinkle bittersweet and semi sweet chocolate over the graham cracker
Sprinkle the white chocolate over the bittersweet and semi sweet chocolate
Sprinkle coconut over white chocolate
Sprinkle cocoa nibs over coconut
Sprinkle oats over the top of the coconut and nibs
Pour sweetened condensed milk over all the layers.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool and cut into squares.

Next time I make them I will make sure my pantry is fully stocked, because there are so many possibilities. Peanut butter chips, mini marshmallows, M&M's, raisins... ooh what about pretzels :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails