Thursday, December 1, 2011

Christmas Is Coming



Every year while on Thanksgiving vacation, I load up on magazines and get inspired for Christmas.
My magazine reading is actually quite a process. It begins with flipping though each magazine, making mental notes of what looks good. Then I go back through and folding the corners of the things I like. After that I actually read the recipes. Finally, when we get home, I rip out all the pages I had folded and put them in a binder. (A tip I learned from my friend and her mother.) Just when you thought I couldn't be more compulsive, I then make a list of everything I want to make in December and map it out on my calendar. (I know what your thinking, "Psycho".)


One of the things that caught my eye in the Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies magazine wasn't even a recipe, it was the gift packaging. It is such a simple idea, that's not only great for Christmas, but would make a cute goodie bag for birthdays as well.


To make the bags you need festive scrapbook paper, glue, scissors, and cellophane bags (found at your local craft store or even Walmart). Cut scrapbook paper to fit folded over bag, fill the bag with goodies, fold top of bag down, cover with scrapbook paper, and staple on each side of the scrapbook paper. Voila! Cute food gift for Christmas.


You might be wondering what is in this bag, it's Oreo Coal. I saw a photo of No-Bake Cookies and Cream Bars on the Picky-Palate blog, and instantly thought of coal. They turned out perfect for the naughty people on my Christmas list. (They look even better in real life.)


Oreo Coal
From Picky-Palate

1 bag of Oreos (15oz)
1 bag large marshmallows (10oz)
4 Tbs butter 

Put Oreos in a food processor and process until crumbs.
Grease a 9x9 baking dish. (I use a silicone pan so I skip this part.)
In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add Marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
Remove from heat and stir in Oreo crumbs, until well coated.
Pour into baking dish and press to spread.
Using the thin side of a rubber spatula hit the top of the Oreo mixture to make a few indention's for a coal like appearance.
When cool, cut into uneven shapes.


These are really chewy and dense, and taste just like Oreos and marshmallows. I think they look better than they taste, but the people at work seemed to really like them (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails