Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sour Lemon Scones


I'm loving the Baked cookbook I got for Christmas, they have so many delicious looking recipes that I can't wait to try, but for now I am still trying to use up all my lemons.
This recipe for Sour Lemon Scones went along with my previous recipe of Candied Lemon Peels, so it only made sense to make them next. (I didn't even notice this recipe until after I made the lemon peels)
Let me start off by saying the word sour in the title is a little misleading, I love sour and these by no means were sour. They were quite tasty though, a perfect balance of sweet and salty, with just a bit of lemon.  I liked them so much I made myself sick after eating 3 (Yes 3!), for breakfast. As I am writing this, dressed in my workout clothes, I am trying to keep myself from going into the kitchen and eating the last scone. It's made with fruit so it would be "fuel" for my workout, right  (:

You really should go and get the Baked cookbook, but until you do....

Sour Lemon Scones
Slightly adapted from Baked

4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed and cold
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup grated lemon zest (from about
3 lemons)
1/2 cup diced candied lemon peel, recipe from previous post
2 tablespoons raw sugar (I used the sugar at the bottom of the candied lemon peel container)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl combine milk and lemon juice, set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger. Whisk until combined.

Add the butter. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the butter is pea-sized.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, 3/4 cup of the milk and the lemon zest. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and then gently knead the dough with your hands until the dough starts to come together. If using, add the candied lemon peel and knead to incorporate. Move the dough to a lightly floured surface. Use your hands to shape the dough into two discs (about 1 1/2 inches in height). Do not overwork the dough.

Cut each disk into 6 wedges. Place the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush each scone with the remaining milk and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake in the center of the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes (rotating the baking sheet halfway through the baking time) or until the scones are golden brown.

Transfer the scones to a cooling rack; they can be served slightly warm or completely cooled.

Scones can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails