Sunday, January 9, 2011

Better Late Than Never

Every year during the holidays I go to San Francisco and order a peppermint sundae from the Ghirardelli Ice Cream shop. This year though, they decided not to offer them, instead I had a regular old brownie sundae and it just wasn't the same.
Well they can't hold this girl down. I was driving home from work this week, still craving a peppermint sundae when it hit me, duh, I can just make my own. Of coarse I'm not just going to buy peppermint ice cream, a bottle of chocolate syrup and a can of whipped cream, that would be a typical Saturday for me. This had to be the real deal with homemade fudge sauce and whipped cream. I knew exactly where to look for a fudge sauce recipe, my first confections cookbook called Candymaking. (Candymaking is the best cookbook for beginners, it has everything in it, even those grandma buttermints.) When it was all put together my sundae tasted EXACTLY like the Ghirardelli Peppermint Sundae.
Peppermint Sundae

Dryers Peppermint Ice Cream
Hot Fudge Sauce, recipe follows
Whipped Cream, recipe follows

Chocolate Fudge Sauce
from Candymaking
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk * I used low fat to keep it healthy :)
1/2cup butter
3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate (Ghirardelli brand)
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla 
In a saucepan, combine milk, butter, chocolate, and sugar. Place over medium heat and stir occasionally until it comes to a boil. Boil 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly until it thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Let cool. Pour into jar and store in refrigerator.
Whipped Cream
from allrecipes.com
1 cup heavy cream
3 Tbs powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

In a chilled bowl beat cream on high speed until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until stiff peak form.

Who needs Ghirardelli when you can make it yourself, well next time I am in San Francisco I probably will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails