Sunday, January 2, 2011

Eating Healthier In 2011

After being lectured about my diet by everyone who has ever seen me eat, I have decided that this year my New Year's resolution will be to eat healthier in 2011. Starting with carrot cake. Did you really think I was serious? I hate New Year's resolutions as much as I hate asparagus. Just because it's a new year doesn't mean all of a sudden I am going to exercise more, eat better, or not bite my nails. This recipe is simply for all the people concerned about my diet, just think of Carrot Cake Cupcakes as my small step into the vegetable world.
This was my second recipe out of my Indulge cookbook. I had high hopes, even though it was carrot cake, since the shortbread recipe turned out so fantastic. The recipe was incredibly easy, and came together quickly. Typically I have an adverse reaction to vegetables in my sweets, but these cupcakes were really good. I would make minor changes next time, by adding more cinnamon and less coconut. It is shocking for someone like me to want less coconut in anything, but the reason wasn't because of the flavor, it was the texture. Carrots in typical carrot cake soften when baked so you can't really tell they are in it, but by adding coconut it adds a texture of uncooked carrots, and it kind of freaks me out. The frosting was surprisingly delicious. Among my long list of food I don't like cream cheese is right up there. You are probably asking why would I make cupcakes with vegetables in it and cream cheese frosting? I have no idea, but the planets aligned and I really did like them.  People who actually like vegetables will definitely love these. 

Carrot Cake Cupcakes
adapted from Indulge

2 cups whole wheat flour
9 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
? shredded coconut
5 eggs
1 cup plus 2 tbs packed brown sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 lb carrots, grated
4 1/2 oz raisins (Eww! I skipped this)

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare cupcake pan with baking cups.
Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg together, then stir in the coconut.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the eggs, sugar and oil on med-high speed for about 4 minutes, it should be pale and doubled in volume.
Gently fold in the dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix and deflate the egg mixture. Add the carrots, continuing to fold in carefully.
Pour into prepared pan and bake about 20 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

4 1/2 oz cream cheese
13 oz powdered sugar
9 oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla

Beat all ingredients together until fluffy.
Pipe onto cupcakes.

The perfect way to add a food group to a sugartarians diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails