Friday, July 2, 2010

Butter Cream Transfers

I found out about butter cream transfers in 2007 when I was making a Marlyn Monroe cake for my daughter. I would like to think am artistic, but can't draw to save my life so I love the idea of tracing an image and placing it on a cake. I have only used this technique 3 times so I still need some practice, but it is pretty simple. 

Butter Cream Transfers
You can use store bought frosting or use your own butter cream recipe
  • Print the image. When printing the image you are going to use, you will need to flip the image to make it a mirror image. Then size the it to fit on the cake.
  • Place the image on a cookie sheet and cover with wax paper, taping the wax paper to the cookie sheet.
  • Using a piping bag with a small tip trace the outline of the image. Then place in the freezer until solid. Continue to copy all of the details, taking breaks in between to freeze your work.
  • When all detail work is finished, and frozen, fill in the background with a larger tip and cover the entire image fairly thick. It is important that your previous work is frozen so the image doesn't smear. Before putting it in the freezer for the final time hit the cookie sheet on the counter a few time to remove any air pockets that occurred when filling in the image.
  • Put in the freezer for the final time. I freeze mine overnight.
  • When you are ready to place image on the cake place the image upside down with wax paper on top and peel off the wax paper.
 The WELCOME is made out of candy melt disc's.
That's it. As you can see I didn't get all the air pockets out of the background, I am still learning. I think it's a good excuses to make more cakes. :)
I did see a similar technique using chocolate on Eye Candy. It seams like it would be harder to control the chocolate but I am definitely going to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails