Friday, July 16, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Project...Still

I am still at it. This time I am trying butter flavored Crisco. I have tried regular Crisco before, by itself and in different measurements with butter with no luck. But I have to say I have an issue with all shortenings. For some reason they freak me out. Health wise butter and shortening are both gross, but for some reason the fact that shortening can sit unrefrigerated on a shelf doesn't seem right. So as I get ready to use butter flavored Crisco the outer wrapper throws a wrench into my baking. Right there on the top of the container it say " How to substitute Crisco shortening for butter or margarine in your favorite recipes, 1 cup Crisco + 2 tablespoons water = 1 cup butter or margarine." Crap, Crisco just added another damn variable. So what do I do, just substitute straight across or do I do what Crisco suggests. I decided on the straight across substitution first.

Chocolate Chip Cookies #3

2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt ( a little shy, because we ran out.)
 1 cup butter flavor Crisco
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs room temperature
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
In a bowl of a stand mixer, beat Crisco and sugars until creamy.
Add vanilla and eggs, beat until combined.
On low speed add flour and mix for 30 seconds.
Add chocolate chips and stir in by hand.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes.

The Results: Just what I thought, gross. Even my boss at work didn't like them. He asked if I did something different this time. (He doesn't know about my Mission.) I said yes, and before I even told him what it was he said it coats your mouth with a greasy feeling. When I told him what I did, he said I should stick with butter. So that's a big fat NO to butter flavored Crisco. Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails