Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Cookie Project

The Mission: To make a Puffy Chewy Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie.

This mission started several summers ago, when I brought very light very puffy picture perfect chocolate chip cookies to Oregon and my friend fell in love with them. I told her I had been trying for years to make them the way my mom did, flat puddles of cookie dough baked just enough to be picked up, but every time I made them they would come out big and puffy. A few weeks later I made some more chocolate chip cookies and they turned out the way mom use to make them. On one hand I was happy to finally get them the way I remember them as a child, but how did it happen. From that point on those were the only way my cookies would come out. I tried to make "Oregon Cookies" as we call them but I still haven't figured it out. I watched Alton Browns Cookie episode and I read all sorts of websites with different recipes, but what I am looking for is to use the Toll House recipe. I tried adjusting the oven temperature, the flour, baking soda, the egg temperature, the butter temperature, using 1/2 butter 1/2 Crisco but nothing worked. I continue to make chocolate chip cookies and documenting the modifications so much so that (Gasp!) the family is getting tired of them. Starting today I am going post my results here under The Cookie Project, so I can have them all in one place. If anyone has any suggestion please let me know.

Chocolate Chip Cookies #1

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated Sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
In the bowl of a stand mixer beat butter, Crisco, and sugars until creamy.
Add the vanilla. Then beat in the eggs one at a time.
Gradually add the flour and mix until incorporated.
Add the chocolate chips and stir in by hand.
Drop by spoonfuls and bake 9 to 11 minutes.

Results: Not supper flat, but not puffy Oregon either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails