Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Saltwater Taffy



 
I am not sure what I was thinking but somehow I got it set in my mind that I was going to make saltwater taffy. It takes awhile; makes a huge mess; and with the recipe I use I wasn't crazy about the actual flavor of the taffy, but I will definitely try it again. Besides it's a great thing to take to parties to show off. (:
Saltwater Taffy

1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Light Corn Syrup
   1/4 Cup Water
   1/4 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
   1/4 Tsp Salt
   1/4 Cup Marshmallow Creme
   1/2 Tsp Flavoring
  • Lightly oil a 9x13 baking pan.
  • Combine the sugar, corn syrup, water, and condensed milk in a 4 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir constantly.
  • Continue stirring until temperature reaches 245 degrees.
  •  Pour into prepared pan. Place marshmallow creme on top of the syrup and allow to cool to nearly room temperature, about 45 minutes.
  •  Pick up the taffy from the pan begin stretching and folding it back onto itself mixing in the marshmallow creme. Add flavoring and color. ( I made root beer.)
  • Continue pulling the taffy until it gets light in color, about 20 minutes. (I used the dough hook on my Kitchen Aid to stretch it.)
  •  Stretch taffy into ropes about 3/4 inch in diameter. Cut into pieces 1 1/2 inches long and wrap each piece in waxed paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails