Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Samoas Krispies Treats

I love Girl Scout Samoas cookies. Every year we buy a ton of boxes and freeze them for later, unfortunately they never last long because I can eat a whole box in one sitting. For the last few days I have had Samoas on my mind. I always want to make my own, but for some reason never do. Then yesterday came the perfect opportunity. My daughter wanted to make Rice Krispies Treats and we were throwing around different ideas when I said suggested adding coconut to them, and from there I realized I could turn them into Samoas.
The recipe is only somewhat time consuming because of the homemade caramel, but I would rather sit and watch sugar syrup boil than to use store bought caramel squares. Gross! Being that I just came up with the idea off the top of my head there is some room for improvement. The idea is good, but it was hard to distinguish the flavors, the Rice Krispies Treat are so overly sweet. Even with the recipe as is  they are still yummy, but you do need an extreme sweet tooth.


Samoas Krispies Treats

Caramel - The Culinary Institute of America recipe

1/2 cup water
2 cups sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract

Coconut Rice Krispies Treats
3 Tbs butter
1 package regular marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut

chocolate chips

Caramel:
Combine water, sugar, condensed milk, corn syrup, and butter in a heavy-bottom 4 quart sauce pan
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until it reaches 245 degrees (about 25 minutes)
Stir in salt and vanilla
Set aside

Samoas Rice Krispies:
Coat a 13x9 pan with cooking spray or butter
In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat
Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted
Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispies and coconut
Pour into pan press evenly
Pour caramel over top
Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the caramel and let stand for 5 minutes
Spread melted chocolate with knife and let harden
*I sprinkled sea salt on top to contrast with all the sweetness
Maybe make caramel Rice Krispies Treats and add the coconut and chocolate on top. Or sprinkle short bread cookie on top or mixed in. I know there are possibilities with the idea, further experimentation is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails