Monday, July 19, 2010

Fresh Blueberry Muffins...Some Rules Are Meant To Be Broken

My rule is that fruit should not be incorporated in any sweets. (I lie when I say it's because they are too healthy, it's just because I think fruit is gross.) The exception to that rule is when I am on vacation. I actually eat fruit on my own free will while on vacation, and I am very willing to try fruit I have never tried before. In the Cook Islands I leerily tried breadfruit and really liked it, dip them in ketchup and they taste just like french fries. With a 11 day camping trip coming up I want to freshen up on my berry skills. The campsites we stay in are surrounded by huckleberries and blackberries, so every year we pick a few bowls full and make pies, muffin, and pancakes. In a vacation frame of mind I made the best blueberry muffins. They are light and fluffy with the blueberries cooked perfectly inside. The best blueberry muffin ever.



Fresh Blueberry Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

Crumb Topping
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1  tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbs melted butter 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line muffin tin 
Make crumb topping: Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and melted butter to form a sandy mixture; set aside
Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in large bowl 
In small bowl mix oil, egg, vanilla and milk 
Pour liquids into flour mixture and combine
Fold in blueberries
Fill liners and sprinkle with crumb topping
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes 


*Note - I did have a few muffins collapse, I am not sure the cause. I first thought I took them out to soon and the centers might still be doughy, but they were done perfectly inside. I don't know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails