Friday, July 9, 2010

Strawberry Marshmallows

 
"Just imagine a big cool bowl of strawberry ice cream." - Strawberry Shortcake

Yep, these marshmallows taste like the strawberry ice cream in Neapolitan. I have said before, I am not a huge fruit in my dessert fan, but these are pretty darn good, http://candy.about.com/od/marshmallowrecipes/r/sberry_mallows.htm
I am always making marshmallows for our camping trips, and with our big yearly trip coming soon I thought I should start experimenting now. In the past I have used extract and made mint(toothpaste tasting), coconut(my favorite), and peanut butter(bad consistency). This new recipe opens a lot of  possibilities. Taking into account that when you make s'mores the marshmallow will be warm and combined with chocolate and graham crackers, some fruit flavors might not work well. So here are some of my thoughts on flavors.

Blackberry Pie S'more- blackberry marshmallow with white chocolate
Peach Pie S'more - white peach marshmallow with white chocolate
Pineapple Lump S'more - pineapple marshmallow with milk chocolate (Pineapple Lumps are candies from New Zealand.)
Turtle S'more - caramel marshmallow with milk chocolate with almonds
Mint Chocolate S'more - Mint marshmallow with milk chocolate 

I have less than a month, so hopefully I can get them all made before we go. I better get busy.

Strawberry Marshmallows

4 envelopes  Gelatin
1/2 cup         Strawberry puree
1 1/4 cups    Water
3 cups          Sugar
1 1/4 cups    Light corn syrup
1/4 tsp         Salt
                    Powder sugar

  • Lightly oil 13x9 pan
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer combine gelatin, strawberry puree, and 1/2 cup of water. Let stand.
 
  • In a heavy sauce pan combine 3/4 cup water, sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil and continue cooking until it reaches 240 degrees.
  • With the mixer on medium pour in hot syrup slowly. When all syrup is added turn mixer on high and whip about 10 minutes.
  • Pour into prepared pan and let sit overnight before cutting.
  • In a large Ziploc bag add about 1/4 cup of powder sugar. Cut marshmallows and place in bag, shaking to coat each marshmallow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails